Study: Who gets gift cards (and which kinds we prefer to get)
By Tyler Metzger
A new holiday season approaches, and gift cards remain an attractive present for many consumers. According to a survey conducted by Comdata in September 2007, half of all presents bought by consumers were gift cards. Other interesting trends include:
- 95 percent of those interviewed said they have either bought or received a gift card.
- Consumers purchased an average of 4.83 gift cards for others in the past 12 months, which is about the same as in 2006.
- The average value of gift cards purchased in 2007 was $53, up from $46 in 2006.
- People bought gift cards for gifts mainly because they didn't want to worry about getting the correct size or color.
- 60 percent of gift cards were bought as presents for females.
- Receipt of cash cards such as Visa and MasterCard quadrupled in 2007 from 4 percent to 21 percent.
Gender drives gift card preference more than ethnicity.
From which of the following merchants (by percent) do you prefer to receive gift cards?
Hispanics are more likely to give gift cards to co-workers or employees, and women give gift cards to relatives more than men.
For whom do you usually purchase gift cards (by percent)?
Source: "Adult Gift Card Study," 2007. Comdata. Sampling error varies depending on answer. See study for details.
See related: As holidays tighten, gift cards remain popular, Top 10 creative ways to wrap gift cards, 8 ways to get gift cards for less, How to claim expired gift card funds, 2008 gift card comparison table
Published: October 29, 2008
- Tips for buying airline tickets with a debit card – Buying an airline ticket with a debit card involves its own restrictions and requirements ...
- Some major health insurers no longer take credit cards – Citing fees, Humana and some Blue Shield units have dropped the pay-by-credit-card option ...
- Buying gift cards with a credit card gets harder, for now – Merchants waiting for certification of new equipment to process EMV chip cards are putting limits on gift card purchases, a favorite of credit card fraudsters ...