Divorce and debt: Advice on dividing up, paying off debt
How to deal with jointly held debt during a divorce
By Anna Bleker
Divorce is stressful enough. When jointly held debt is involved, things get a lot more complicated.
It's best to pay off shared debt before divorce, so that credit card companies don't blame you for your ex's failure to pay up. While shedding debt is ideal, it's not always that easy. If you're in a tough financial situation and can't pay off debt before divorce, you'll have to divide up the debt, which can get tricky.
Read the stories below for advice on dividing debt and rebuilding your credit during and after a divorce.
- 5 tips for protecting your credit during marriage breakup
- Dividing credit card debt in divorce
- Divorce and credit card debt don't mix
- Divorce can result in bad credit
- Protect your credit score during divorce
- Tips for rebuilding your credit after divorce
- Create a separate credit identity after divorce
- Avoid bankruptcy during messy divorce
- Establishing credit after divorce
See related: How bad credit affects a new marriage, Mine, yours and our: Marriage and your money, 4 common myths about debt and marriage, How to cope when spouse's secret debts come to light, Tips for uncovering, dealing with hidden credit card debt
Published: August 24, 2010
- Synthetic identity theft crimes growing fast, targeting kids – Synthetic identity theft is growing fast, and victims may be children or others who don't use credit, so they're unaware of the crime for years ...
- What to do if your credit card rate goes up – With the U.S. economy on the upswing, an interest rate hike is expected soon. That could be a shock for credit card holders, who will face a higher cost for carrying a balance. But there are a few things you can do to minimize the pain ...
- Pay for delete: A shady credit-report cleanup practice – If a collection is bringing your credit score down, making a deal with the collection agency could get it taken off. However, this might not be as easy as it sounds ...