Tips for credit card usage
By Ben Woolsey
There are many advantages to having a credit card such as being able to purchase items online and make hotel and car reservations. The way you handle your purchases should be taken seriously. Following are a few tips and suggestions about credit cards.
- Credit cards are just like a loan -- you have to pay what you owe -- so try and not overcharge more than you can afford to pay.
- Keep track of how much you spend on your credit card. Remember that incidental and impulse purchases add up fast.
- Save your credit card receipts. Compare them with your monthly bill. Promptly report problems to the company that issued the card.
- Never lend your credit cards to anyone.
- Owing more than you can repay can damage your credit rating. That can make it hard to finance a car, rent an apartment, get insurance or even get a job.
- Pay your credit card bill on time, and in full when possible. If you don't, you'll have to pay finance charges on the unpaid balance-and it takes forever to get caught up if you just pay the minimum.
Federal law limits your liability for unauthorized charges to $50 per card.
Published: August 5, 2005
- Tax refund delayed? It’s best to wait – Many taxpayers will receive their refunds later than usual this year. How can you fill the void? And should you? ...
- Pay off credit card debt with tax refund? 5 questions – Question No. 1: Do you have an emergency fund? ...
- Resolution keepers: 5 who transformed their financial lives – Five success stories of those who stuck to their financial goals ...