Citi launches limited-time 60K offer for AAdvantage Platinum Select cards
By Tracy Brackman | Published: May 15, 2017
Credit card products expert.
The editorial content below is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not driven by advertising dollars. However, we do receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners. Learn more about our advertising policy
(Update: Offer no longer available through our site as of 7/20/17)
Citi has significantly boosted its sign-up bonuses for the Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard and the CitiBusiness/AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard, just in time for summer travel season. For a limited time, you can earn a 60,000-mile sign-up bonus when you spend $3,000 on either card in the first three months of account opening.
This is an increase of 30,000 miles over the previous sign-up bonus, which offered 30,000 miles after spending $1,000 in the first three months.
Rewards for every purchase
The Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard offers 2 miles per dollar spent on eligible American Airlines purchases, as well as 1 mile per dollar on all other purchases. Card members also receive 10 percent of their redeemed miles back – up to 10,000 miles each calendar year.
The CitiBusiness/Aadvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard offers 2 miles per dollar spent on eligible American Airlines purchases. Card members also earn 2 miles per dollar spent on telecommunications, rental cars and gas stations. All other purchases earn 1 mile per dollar.
AAdvantage miles can be redeemed for flights, hotel stays, rental cars, vacation packages and retail products.
American Airlines perks
In addition to a 60,000-mile sign-up bonus and rewards on every purchase, cardholders can take advantage of a plethora of perks from American Airlines. Travel benefits include the following:
- Free checked bags – Check your bag on domestic American Airlines flights, along with up to four passengers traveling under the same reservation, at no additional charge.
- No foreign transaction fees – Pay no foreign transaction fees on purchases made while traveling abroad.
- Preferred boarding – Receive preferred boarding on domestic American Airlines flights.
- In-flight discounts – Save 25 percent on in-flight purchases.
Comparing airline rewards cards
At 60,000 miles, the sign-up bonuses for the Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard and the CitiBusiness/AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard are among the largest for airline rewards cards. See how these cards compare to similar cards:
|COMPARE AIRLINE REWARDS CARD BONUSES|
|Credit card||Sign-up bonus||Estimated value of bonus*||Annual fee|
|Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard||• 60K after $3,000 spend in first 3 months
||$1,200||$95, waived first year|
|CitiBusiness/AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard||• 60K after $3,000 spend in first 3 months||$1,200||$95, waived first year|
|Chase United MileagePlus Explorer||• 50K after $3,000 spend in first 3 months
• 5K after adding authorized user and making purchase in first 3 months
|Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier||• 40K after $1,000 spend in first 3 months||$628||$99|
|*Bonus value is based on our estimated value of each card’s rewards points.
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date. Please see the bank’s website for the most current version of the offer.
Among these cards, the Citi cards offer a higher sign-up bonus, as well as a substantially higher rewards value. We estimate rewards to be valued at 2 cents per mile for the Citi AAdvantage cards, 1.52 cents per mile for the Chase United card and 1.57 cents per point for the Southwest card. However, the Chase United and Southwest cards offer something that the Citi AAdvantage cards do not – an annual bonus. The United MileagePlus Explorer card gives a bonus of 10,000 miles each calendar year that you spend $25,000, while the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier card gives 6,000 points each year after your card member anniversary.
The fine print
If you are interested in applying for the Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard, you should note that you are not eligible to receive American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles if you have had any Citi/AAdvantage card – other than a CitiBusiness/AAdvantage card – opened or closed within the past two years.
If you are interested in the CitiBusiness/AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard, note you are not eligible to earn bonus miles if you have had any CitiBusiness/AAdvantage card opened or closed within the past two years.
See related: Chase offers hefty 50,000 sign-up bonus to new United MileagePlus Explorer cardholders, Alaska Airlines Visa Signature launches limited-time, companion-fare offer, Chase and British Airways boost sign-up bonus to 100K Avios
- Special offer: Blue Cash Preferred waives annual fee for first year – American Express has launched a special introductory offer for the Blue Cash Preferred card. During the first year of card membership, cardholders will not be charged the usual annual fee of $95 ...
- Discover cardholders can save 15 cents per gallon at the pump this summer – Thanks to a new partnership between Discover and Gulf Gas, Discover cardholders can save 15 cents per gallon of gas this summer ...
- The AARP card from Chase doubles its sign-up bonus to $200 – The AARP card from Chase now pays $200 when you apply for the card by Aug. 25, 2017 and spend $500 in the first three months ...